For a dog who’s so finicky about her food, Daisy sure isn’t finicky about her “snacks”.
Daisy is part goat, I’m convinced of it.
The other day, DD asked where her purple Post-It bookmarks were. We looked high and low, until Daisy walked innocently into the room with something weird looking sticking out of her mouth.
I reached down and pulled a purple Post-It bookmark out of her mouth – it looked like a dark cigarette dangling out of someone’s mouth! When I realized what it was, I opened her mouth and swept my finger over her tongue, where I pulled out a thoroughly soggy, scrunched-up Post-It that looked like a chewed wad of gum.
I went into the family room – lo and behold, there was a thin pack of DD’s purple Post-Its lying on the floor, chewed and soggy. Around it was a bunch of smaller Post-It bits, again looking like chewed purple gum.
“I think I found your Post-Its….” I called to DD.
When she looked at them in horror, I knew something more was wrong.
“That was a full pack of Post-It bookmarks!”
“Are you sure?” I asked.
“I only used two of them! The pack was really thick!” She indicated at least half an inch with her fingers – at least.
“She couldn’t have eaten them!” We searched and searched – we shook out Daisy’s blankets as well as the blankets that protect our sofa from Daisy’s torturous nails; we looked under furniture and even in places where she couldn’t possibly go.
This silly puppy ate a WHOLE PACK OF PURPLE POST-ITS!! We were so worried! Immediately we went online and Googled “Are Post-Its safe for dogs to eat”. We thought it was a ridiculous query – and it was. Apparently Daisy is one of very few dogs who find Post-Its to be an irresistible culinary delight.
There wasn’t any real help for this, so we followed the rule for dogs who eat a lot of paper – wait it out and see if they continue with normal eating and normal stools. If not, there could be a blockage.
We watched her like a hawk for the next 48 hours (we do a lot of hawk-watching since we got Daisy!). DD moved Daisy into her room for the next two nights so she could immediately hear if she vomited or anything else sounded wrong.
I’m happy to report that Daisy suffered no ill side effects from her exotic dining adventure. We were also concerned as to whether the purple pigment and sticky stuff on the back of the Post-Its could have any long-range toxicity issues. We’ll mention it to the vet at her regular appointment in September – I guess I know the story he’ll be telling at dinner that night!