A few months ago our electric range started superheating. It was pretty scary – you turned on a burner or the oven, and the entire stovetop surface superheated to an untouchable degree.
The unit was a 20 year old all-in-one stove, oven, and microwave unit. I believe in using appliances until they wear out, I’m not one to buy new things just because their styles change.
Consequently, by the time that happens, lots of other things are due for updating, so from one necessity come many related projects.
We’re do-it-yourselfers, so during upgrade periods, we become Lowe’s or Home Depot’s favorite people! LOL
Anyway, a few weeks ago we got a brand new stainless steel range with a matching microwave. The “fun” was in keeping Daisy occupied and away from the electrician when he spent a couple hours updating our old wiring; keeping her away from the range delivery and installation men, who were here for over an hour; and keeping her away from the microwave installer who was also here for a couple of hours. So while DH worked from home and stayed with the workmen, I stripped the bed and treated Daisy to afternoons on our bed, where she’s never allowed to go.
From that vantage point, she could look out two windows and see the road as well as the driveway, where the workmen went back and forth. It was like opening up a whole new world to her – very exciting!
But now come the rest of the upgrades – a new granite countertop, tiled backsplash around the entire work area, and possibly new wall decor – the hands-on part of the project. DH loves putting in tile and he’s great at painting and wallpapering, all of which will take a lot of time to complete.
So I got to thinking about Daisy’s safety with all these potentially dangerous chemicals and sharp objects around – since the projects will take more than a weekend to complete, what should we be aware of, aside from the obvious things like not leaving open paint cans sitting around?
There’s a very helpful article about keeping pets safe during home renovations which gives lots of suggestions and information on things to be mindful of that might not occur to homeowners during that busy, stressful time. Keeping loose, dangling wires away from pets, keeping dogs away from workmen, making sure pets are nowhere near doors and/or windows that may be opening – all of these things and more are causes for concern.
We do so much research and prep work in getting our homes ready for upgrades – if we’re just as mindful in preparing to protect our pets for upcoming renovations, everything will go smoothly. It’s worth the time and effort!