We couldn’t find any information about Havachons anywhere, so we looked up info on Havanese and Bichon personality traits, figuring Daisy would probably be a mixture of both. And she certainly is, and then some. Since there isn’t any good Havachon info online, we thought we’d post some so you aren’t facing the same blank wall we were.
If you’re thinking of getting a Havachon, here are the traits we’ve noticed in Daisy:
1. SMART. Maybe too smart. Loves to outsmart humans and figure things out.
2. Stubborn. Unless and until a Havachon recognizes you as her leader, she’ll do things her way over and over again until she has YOU trained.
3. Willful. It’s her way or the highway, baby. She’ll pursue areas that are off-limits until she finds a way to go there, then she’ll flash you a “see-it’s-mine-now” look. That is, until you teach her who’s Alpha.
4. Loving. Oh, so loving! Havachons become little puddles of mush in your arms, with their soft doe-eyes, frantically wagging tails, and kisses galore!
5. Shy. In certain circumstances, like taking them somewhere new, they can be a bit leery and want to take things slowly at first. But once they trust you, they’ll look to you for guidance and listen when you tell them everything’s okay.
6. Playful! Very playful! They tend to play pretty hard, which is surprising for such a tiny dog. They play like they’re 50 pounds bigger than they are. And their sharp teeth go through everything, from Kongs to Nylabones. Our Shepherd-Husky-Collie mix didn’t shred toys like these little guys do!
7. Cuddly. They just LOVE being held, cuddled, and sleeping in your lap.
8. Happy. Definitely happy!
9. Friendly. We were told that Havachons were shy about meeting new people, but we haven’t seen any examples of that. Daisy is always very happy and excited to meet new people and new dogs.
10. Ham. LOVES to have her picture taken. She’ll actually freeze in place when she sees the camera pointed at her and wait until she hears the “click” before she continues whatever she was doing.
11. Curious. They’ll check every nook and cranny a hundred times just to see what there is to see. Very thorough.
This is definitely a wonderful new mix that I’d recommend to anyone who has the energy to get through the puppy period!